In a wild, stormy night, A gentleman driving down the road in his two seater car, when he pass by a bus stop and see three people waiting for the bus: An old lady who looks as if she is about to die, An old friend who once saved his life, The perfect partner whom he have been dreaming about. Knowing that there can only be one passenger in his car, whom would this clever gentleman choose? Answer: clever gentleman will make the old lady sit in the car and then will give his car key to his friend and wait with the perfect partner for the bus. This puzzle we all would have answered in our childhood.
I wish my mind would have been as clear as this gentleman’s in selecting options, but unfortunately it was not. With all the limitation in luggages, what to carry , what not to carry, what to choose, what to leave behind, what to buy new, what to discard. In between, I was dealing with whole lot of puzzle, I decided to leave almost all baking pan and I shifted to a new place absolutely without a single baking pan. I still miss my pans but on other hand i am really excited to try with entire new sets
This fall is so beautiful. Was not able to resist myself to try this Apple crumb cake when my friend shared its picture.
Off course this crumb is buttery…
Mix butter, sugar, sugar brown sugar, flour and salt with a fork. This crumb going to be crunchy and off course buttery
Add walnuts. Let it rest in refrigerator
Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon
It need a hand mixer to beat sugar and egg to make it pale, but I left my hand mixer in Bangalore, so did it with this tiny whisker. Beat it, until it is light and fluffy, then add vanilla extract. Worth all this effort!
Add egg one at a time and beat
this batter is thick and dream, which will result in fluffy, dense and moist cake
Add Apple and fold it !
Transfer the batter on the prepared pan, take out the crumb topping from refrigerator and layer it on top of batter
Apple Crumb Cake
Adapted from: Purple foodie
For Crumb topping:
5 tbsp butter, cold
¼ cup sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar
½ cup flour
¼ tsp salt
½ cup walnut, chopped
For the cake:
1 large apple, cored and diced
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp cinnamon, ground
2/3 cup sugar
8 tbsp butter (100g)
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup yoghurt
For making the crumb topping:
Mix together all the ingredients listed for crumb except the walnuts, using a fork or with fingers. Next, stir in the nuts. Refrigerate until needed.
Method for cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F/175°C. Butter an 8 inch square pan.
- Sift twice, the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar and the butter until light fluffy and airy. Add the vanilla.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating for a minute after each addition.
- Add the flour in 3 parts and yoghurt in 2 parts alternately to the wet ingredients; starting and ending with flour. This batter will be thick. Stir in the chopped apples.
- Transfer the batter in the prepared pan.
- Get the crumb topping out of the fridge and it will be little hard, just break it apart using a fork. Then sprinkle it over the batter.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the crumbs are golden and a skewer comes out clean. Njoy fall!