As I have many friends who are pure vegetarians, till now I was hesitant to post picture of uncooked meat or chicken. But last time when I posted Jamaican Jerk Rub chicken, few friends requested me to post more pictures and they wanted to see the procedures :-). So I am publishing this post with more pictures.
Coming to Chevon (Goat meat)..
Chevon meat is 50-60% lower in fat than beef, but has the same or more protein content. As Chevon is lean and less in fat, it makes this meat very tricky to cook in oven, unlike lamb or beef. It will not be soft if it is cooked without moisture at high temperature. We are doing here slow cooking with liquid which can be water or stock..
Sear meat in a pan for few minutes!
We are going to cook slowly these small cubes of meat in chicken stock, saute onion & tomato in Indian spices, lot of green chilies and carrots. Yummmm…
All mixed and ready to get into oven!
Cook at 160 degree Celsius for 2 hours!
Slow cooked Chevon( Goat Meat) in Indian Spices Recipe
- 500gms Chevon (Goat Meat)/capretto, cut into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6-8 green chilies (few chopped and few whole, see tips)
- 1 teaspoon Ginger and garlic paste
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 3 carrot, chopped
- 500mls stock or water( I used chicken stock)
- Preheat oven at 160 degree Celsius
- Rub meat with salt and fresh ground pepper. Sear the meat in 1 tablespoon of oil until slightly brown.
- In another pan heat 1 tablespoon of oil, add chopped onion and few chopped chilies, once onion become little transparent, add ginger and garlic paste, saute it until it’s raw smell goes, then add tomato, then paprika, garam masala, turmeric. Saute it for 1 minute . Switch off the stove. Add this mixture to the roasted meat.
- Cut carrot length wise add it to the roasted meat
- Pour stock or water and whole chilles into the meat pan. Bring it to boil. Add salt if required
- Shift it to preheated oven and cook it at 160 degree Celsius for 2 hours
Serve warm with bread!
- Cooking time for Chevon( Goat Meat) may vary depends on the tenderness of meat
- Number of chopped Green chilles depend on your taste bud. If you dont want too hot you can keep whole chilles.