A perfect combination… lemon and strawberries, rather Roasted Strawberries!
I feel I am lucky, I always manage to get fresh yellow corn for salad
and very yellow corn meal for my pizza and cakes, that too very near to my house!
Buttermilk makes this corn meal cake much lighter
These strawberries are ready to get roasted
After 35 minutes!
Dry ingredients flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in large bowl;see how yellow is these cornmeal!
Whisk dry ingredients !
Beat egg until it is pale and light
Gently mix dry and wet ingredients!
Pour batter in skillet and roasted strawberries too!
For Roasted Strawberries
- 8 ounces/250 grams small to medium strawberries, hulled
- 2 tablespoons honey or Maple Syrup
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- A pinch of fine-grain sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of balsamic vinegar
Adapted from Epicurious
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon peel
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted, cooled
For roasted strawberries Method:
- Preheat oven with center rack on to 350°F/180°C
- Prepare a rimmed baking sheet as strawberries will release lot of juice
- Cut into half or quarter hulled strawberries
- Mix it with Honey/ Maple Syrup, olive oil, salt
- Pour the liquid mixture to strawberries and gently toss it to coat all strawberries
- Arrange the strawberries in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet
- Roast it for 30- 40 minutes. Juice should not be burn
- Now add vinegar and mix it gently
For cake Method:
- Preheat oven with centre rack on to 350°F/180°C. Prepare 9-inch-diameter Skillet or cake pan with butter
- Whisk dry ingredients flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, and salt in large bowl
- Whisk buttermilk, eggs, lemon peel, and vanilla in a bowl.
- Pour buttermilk mixture into dry ingredients. Gently fold the flour mixture into wet ingredients. Don’t over work. Just it needs to be combined
- Pour batter into prepared pan
- And top with roasted strawberries
- Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean around 30 minutes
- Serve with some roasted strawberry juice